More About Ascension
A little something about Ascension Lutheran Church
- a congregation in Cheyenne, Wyoming, with a normal weekly worshiping attendance of 150–175 people and a Christian education program of about 30–40.
- a congregation of the Rocky Mountain Synod, among 163 congregations in the five states of Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah. The RMS is served by Bishop Jim Gonia and staff, with offices in Denver.
- a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The ELCA has just more than 3.5 million members, who belong to more than 9,000 congregations in 65 geographic areas called synods. The ELCA is served by Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton and staff, with offices in Chicago.
A little more about Ascension Lutheran Church
AN ECUMENICAL CHURCH.
We seek to affirm what we hold in common with other church bodies, rather than stress our differences. The ELCA has an open Communion table, to which all Christian believers are welcome.
A TEACHING CHURCH.
We value and promote education through excellent Sunday School, confirmation and adult education programs.
A SINGING CHURCH.
We speak and sing our liturgy and hymnody with energy and are blessed with excellent choral and instrumental leadership.
A SERVANT CHURCH.
We support many local charitable organizations through financial contributions and hands-on work, including the COMEA House Shelter, the Family Promise shelter program and NEEDS, Inc. As part of the ELCA, we support Lutheran Social Services and Lutheran Disaster Response.
A GLOBAL CHURCH.
The ELCA is a member church in the Lutheran World Federation. The LWF, with more than 72 million members in 98 countries, is the largest Protestant church body in the world. We support our afflicted global neighbors through the work of Lutheran World Relief, LWF’s Department of World Service and ACT/Alliance.
Did you know?
- The ELCA has established Communion and pulpit fellowship with the United Church of Christ, Presbyterian Church in the USA, Reformed Church, Moravian Church, Episcopal Church and United Methodist Church, and we are currently in dialogue with the African Methodist Episcopal/Zion Church.
- The ELCA has eight theological seminaries and 26 liberal arts colleges.
- Lutheran Social Services is one of the largest social service agencies in the United States, and its work was especially lauded in New York City after 9/11.
- Pope Francis helped lead a prayer service in October 2016 in Sweden’s Lund Lutheran Cathedral, the birthplace of the Lutheran World Federation. The worship service commemorated the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. Catholics and Lutherans, who have been in dialogue for 50 years, have committed themselves to a path to shared Communion.